Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN)
Part-time Adult Licensed Practical Nursing Program
The Practical Nursing Program is designed to prepare students to work as entry level Practical Nurses in today's health care system. This program is comprised of 726 hours theory and 510 hours clinical, totaling 1,236 hours of instruction. Emphasis is placed on developing the skills knowledge and behaviors necessary for effective use of the nursing process to perform basic client care. Ultimately, the student needs to understand, integrate, and then apply theory to real Practical Nursing situations with clients of any age. Students also practice for the required NCLEX-PN licensure examination throughout their LPN program.
Upon completion of the course the student will be able to:
Identify the roles and responsibilities of the Practical Nurse
Utilize the nursing process to solve client problems
Adapt nursing care to the principles of growth and development
Apply the school philosophy to nursing practice
Explain health care delivery systems
Practice safe basic nursing skills
Utilize basic scientific principles in nursing care
LocationsOrleans Niagara Boces50 Main StLockport, NY 14094Workforce Training Center 606 6th StreetNiagara Falls, NY 14301 Admission Requirements
- Successful completion of Biology & High School Math Courses (strongly recommended)
- Completed LPN Application on file in the Nursing Education Office
- Submission of official copies of all school transcripts or GED/TASC (High School Equivalency).
- Testing fee payment
- Successful completion of LPN pre-test and essay
- Successful interview with the Health Occupations Coordinator
All applicants must successfully complete the ATI Teas (test of essential academic skills) exam. See www.atitesting.com for more information. The entrance examination is part of the admission process. This test is a 3-4 hour, multiple choice, timed examination testing essential math skills, reading comprehension, science and english.
Financial Aid is available to qualifying individuals. Click on "Financial Aid Application Procedure" at left for detailed information. A $100.00 non-refundable acceptance fee is required to reserve enrollment. This acceptance fee is applied toward tuition.
The O-N BOCES LPN Program is scheduled 4 days a week for 13.5 months.
The theory portion of the program is scheduled 7:30AM - 1:30PM
The clinical portion of the program will be scheduled at local health care facilities from 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM.
Attendance and Grading Policy
Attendance and maintaining a minimum grade of 75% are critical to success and continuance in the LPN program. If a student does not make up clinical absence hours, has not passed program critical elements as specified, or has a grade average lower than 75%, they will not be able to continue in the program.
Topics of Study
- Introduction to Practical Nursing
- Basic Concepts of Physical and Life Sciences
- Anatomy & Physiology with related Nursing Skills
- Introduction to Clinical
- Growth & Development
- Mental health
- Community Health
- Medical Surgical Nursing with Related Nursing Skills
- Clinical Hours in Required Areas
Completion of the O-N BOCES physical examination by your primary care provider is required prior to any clinical experience.
Examples of Clinical Experience Rotation Sites
- Lockport Memorial Hospital
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center
- Lockport Rehab and Health Care Center
- Elderwood of Lockport
- Schoellkopf Health Care Facility
Areas of Clinical Experience
- Medication Administration
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CALL: 1-716-731-6800, Ext. 4445
FOR APPLICATION: Please complete, print, and send to Sarah Pabon at address on page 2 of application.