Location: Orleans Career and Technical Education Center
Location: Niagara Career and Technical Education Center
This program is open to all students in their junior or senior year of high school. Students will learn about all aspects of computer technology including software packages, operating systems and hardware architecture. Students are eligible for Comp TIA-A+ certification.
- Basic computer technology and network concepts
- Proficiency with software packages including Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of internet security concerns and how to maintain a safe computing environment.
- Fundamentals of cyber security.
- Describe and assemble a computer system.
- Installation of an operating system.
- Troubleshooting computer issues by using system tools and diagnostic software.
- Exploration of programming, web design, robotics, micro computing and multimedia.
Units of Study
Introduction to computers, introduction to Microsoft Office, Operating Systems (various), Computer Hardware and Systems (CISCO IT), networking and Programming (Visual Basic), Web Design (HTML &CSS), Cyber Security, and Robotics.
How to Enroll
Orleans/Niagara BOCES partners with local school districts to provide exciting hands-on career and technical training during normal school day. To learn more, speak with your high school counselor.
NYS Approved Program Title & CIP Code
Computer Technology/Computer Systems Technology – 15.1202
Possible Career Paths
- With a 2 year CTE program: Computer Support Specialist, increased demand 10%*
- Associate’s Degree: Web Developer, increased demand 13%*
- Bachelor’s Degree: Computer and Information Systems Manager, increased demand 11%*
*Projected national growth for 2016-2026, US Bureau of Labor Statistics