LOCATION: Orleans Career and Technical Education Center
Instructor: James Atzrott
LOCATION: Niagara Career and Technical Education Center
Instructors: Robert Ihle and Caitlin Siresi
This program is open to all juniors and seniors. Students in this program will be exposed to a variety of careers within the culinary arts and food preparation field. By actual participation, students will become familiar with the workings of a modern kitchen while preparing foods of various types. This training will prepare them for future employment in both preparation and serving.
This program will qualify students for acceptance at post-secondary schools specializing in training necessary to become master chefs, restaurant managers, owners or to become instructors of culinary arts trades. National Pro-Start Program is available at the Niagara Career and Technical Education Center.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
- To develop the skills needed in operating food equipment efficiently and safely; handling of foods, storage, cooking techniques and proper safe temperatures.
- To have students prepare foods in hygienic and sanitary manner, working with the Board of Health regulations.
- To familiarize students with various techniques used in food preparation for occasions such as buffets, weddings, formal dinners, short orders, fast food operations, take out services.
- To aid students in developing the initiative and confidence that is needed to succeed in the food service trades and the styles of foods that people want today: low fat, low cholesterol, high nutritional value.
- To stress the importance of working in harmony with other students, working in a professional manner, time schedules, daily attendance with long hours.
- To develop job seeking abilities necessary to succeed in the working world.
UNITS OF STUDY
- Hand Tools
- Customer Relations
- Business Math
- Basic Cooking Skills
- Baking: cookies, cakes, pies and breads
- Cooking Techniques: meats, poultry, seafood, stock, sauces and soups
- Garde Manager: eggs, breakfast, sandwiches, fruit, vegetables, pasta and grains.
- Menu Planning