Diesel Technology/Heavy Equipment
Niagara Career and Technical Education Center
Instructor: Westin Blidy
Orleans Career and Technical Education Center
Instructor: Ed Wallace
Diesel Technology/Heavy Equipment is a two year program open to all high school juniors and seniors.
Students who have found an interest in working with machines in the construction, agriculture, trucking and bus industry, lawn and garden industry, small engine service, welding should consider this program. Students will be working on trucks (pickups and semis), farm tractors, forklifts, backhoes, bulldozers, lawn mowers and small engines. Students will also work in groups for engine tear down, overhaul and failure analysis.
OBJECTIVES OF PROGRAM
- To provide instruction to help students achieve the skills and experiences necessary so that they may gain employment.
- Prepare students that wish to further study at a career and technical education college with the basic knowledge to help them achieve success in their post secondary goals.
- To provide students with job seeking skills necessary to find and obtain employment in the field of their choice.
- Assist students in developing and maintaining work habits, proper atttitudes, and the ability to work harmoniously with others, which will enable them to keep a job after they are hired.
- Provide students with leadership training activities they will enlarge their vision and enrich their lives for better citizenship through FFA and SkillsUSA organizations.
UNITS OF STUDY
- Operate, overhaul, service and tune up: medium and large duty engines (gasoline and diesel)
- Welding (Arc, Acetylene, MIG)
- Recondition machinery (sandblast and painting)
- Service transmission (Manual and Automatic)
- Service Drivetrain and Suspensions
- Repair heavy equipment and truck tires
- Troubleshoot and service hydraulic systems
- Test and service starters, generators, alternators and other electrical system components
- Electronic Engine controls and troubleshooting
- High performance gas and diesel engines
- Service Semi Truck Air Brakes
- Machine Operators