Early Childhood Education
LOCATION: Orleans Career and Technical Education Center
Instructor: Christine Burdick
LOCATION: Niagara Career and Technical Education Center
Instructor: Laura Koeppel
This is a two year program open to all students in their junior and senior years. Students spend a portion of their time teaching preschool children and gain hands-on experiences in a variety of child care programs. Students completing this program will be trained as general early childhood ed workers. Students will receive a child abuse recognition certificate, certification in CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), certificate in Early Childhood Education and half of the required hours for a Child Development Associate credential and a portfolio, six articulation credits at Niagara County Community College and at the Orleans Center Only 9 credits from Genesee Community College through their ACE Program.
OBJECTIVES OF PROGRAM
- To instill the critical necessity for maintaining a safe, healthy and nuturing environment for children.
- To help the student develop communication skills with children and adults.
- To instill concepts of appropriate child management techniques both in large group and small group settings.
- To understand the stages of development 0 to 9 years.
- To recognize various learning styles in children thereby to create an appropriate environment and activities.
- To develop an understanding of familial impact on a child.
UNITS OF STUDY
- Children's Literature
- Child Management
- Observing of Children/Assessment
- Health and Safety of Children
- Physical, cognitive, social and emotional development
- Learning environment - set up classroom
- Teaching Art, Math and Literacy
- Family Involvement
- Day care regulations
- Children with special needs curriculum development
- Multi-cultural education