Fashion Design and Interior Decorating
Location: Niagara Career and Technical Education Center
Debra Wilczak - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on the link to watch our students in action: Fashion and Interior Decorating Video
Fashion Design and Interior Decorating is a two-year program for juniors and seniors. This program combines both theory (lecture) with hands-on techniques and the skills needed to apply knowledge presented in class lecture and studio time. Math and science skills are critical to the success of students in Fashion Design and Interior Decoration, as well as abstract thinking skills and creative problem solving methods.
During the two year program, students will focus on fashion illustration, design elements and principles apparel construction techniques, using math and measuring abilities, principles, interior design and layout, textile science and patternmaking methods.
Each year students will participate in a runway show with models to show off their original designs.
- Using geometric concepts to create paper patterns and perform mathematical computations related to apparel and textile industry.
- Perform basic maintenance on domestic and industrial sewing machines and troubleshooting sewing machine operations.
- Analyze and adjust patterns for various figure types using a toile and sloper.
- To demonstrate basic patternmaking system of flat pattern, pattern drafting and draping.
- Differentiate market segmentation and develop market research strategies.
- Perform measuring and layout skills.
Units of Study
During the program, students will complete a variety of apparel construction samples, toile and sloper construction and fitting, fashion illustration and design, creating floor plans, scale drawings and knowledge of fashion and interior design.
How to Enroll
Orleans/Niagara BOCES partners with local school districts to provide exciting hands-on career and technical training during normal school day. To learn more, speak with your high school counselor.
NYS Approved Program Title & CIP Code
Apparel and Textile Manufacture – 19.0902
Possible Career Paths
- With a 2 year CTE program: Retail Sales, increased demand 2%*
- Associate’s Degree: Retail Manager, increased demand 5%*
- Bachelor’s Degree:, Architect, increased demand 8%*
*Projected national growth for 2016-2026, US Bureau of Labor Statistics