Building Management and Maintenance
Location: Niagara Career and Technical Education Center
Click on the link to watch our students in action:Building Maintenance Management Video
This program prepares students to assume key positions in fields of facility operations and property management. There is a great need for highly-trained individuals to operate, manage and maintain various kinds of facilities both locally and nationally. The curriculum is unique in proving this technical and managerial training. The student will gain knowledge in the following areas: operation of a building’s mechanical system; overview of the building trades; and managerial/supervisory skills and business practices. Our program aims to develop skills which are needed for planning, scheduling and controlling the efficient operation and repair of state-of-the-art equipment and buildings. The facilities operations and property management fields will require a thorough understanding of the construction and maintenance process. The curriculum provides hands-on activities to augment and complete the education of the student.
- Operate, maintain & troubleshoot building mechanical systems (HVAC, Electrical, Power Distribution, Plumbing, etc.) and structural systems.
- Develop operational forms of a facility.
- Demonstrate knowledge of multiple trades, tool usage, and safety procedures.
- Develop and implement Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) manual.
- Develop and implement preventive maintenance program(s).
- Estimate labor, material and equipment for the maintenance function.
- Manage a project; renovation, or remodeling for a facility.
- Perform an energy audit and make recommendations for cost effective retrofits.
- Supervise the maintenance and function-personnel, work, load, balancing, problem solving and scheduling.
- Develop a training program in various media formats or subordinates.
- Interpret and use financial and legal documents.
- Interpret residential and commercial blueprints.
Units of Study
Workplace Safety, Intro to HVAC, Refrigeration, Air Distribution Systems, Home Performance, Air Conditioning (Install & Maintenance), Estimating, Rough and Finish Carpentry, Plumbing, Interior & Exterior Finishes, Electricity/Control Circuits, Gas Heat, Print Reading, Transformers and Motors and Bob Cat Training.
How to Enroll
Orleans/Niagara BOCES partners with local school districts to provide exciting hands-on career and technical training during normal school day. To learn more, speak with your high school counselor.
NYS Approved Program Title & CIP Code
Building/Property Maintenance and Manager – 46.0401
Possible Career Paths
- With a 2 year CTE program: Roofer, increased demand 11%*
- Associate’s Degree: HVAC Technician, increased demand 13%*
- Bachelor’s Degree: Construction Manager, increased demand 11%*
*Projected national growth for 2016-2026, US Bureau of Labor Statistics