Location: Orleans Career and Technical Education Center
Location: Niagara Career and Technical Education Center
This program is open to all juniors and seniors. Students in this program will be exposed to a variety of careers within the culinary arts and food preparation field. By actual participation, students will become familiar with the workings of modern kitchen while preparing foods of various types. This training will prepare them for future employment in both preparation and serving.
This program will also qualify students for acceptance at post-secondary schools specializing in training necessary to become certified master chefs, restaurant managers, restaurant owners, or to become instructors of culinary arts trades. New York ProStart Program is available.
- To develop the skills needed in operating food equipment efficiently and safely; handling of foods, storage, cooking techniques and proper safe temperatures.
- To have students prepare food in hygienic and sanitary manner, working with Board of Health regulations.
- To familiarize students with various techniques used in food preparation for occasions such as buffets, weddings, formal dinners, short order cooking, fast food operations and takeout services.
- To aid students in developing the initiative and confidence that is needed to succeed in the food service trades, and the styles of foods that people want today such as: low fat, low cholesterol, high nutrition value.
- To stress the importance of working in harmony with other students, working in a professional manner and time management.
- To develop job seeking abilities necessary to succeed in the working world.
Units of Study
Sanitation, Hand Tools, Safety, Customer Relations, Business Math, Basic Cooking Skills, Commercial Baking, Cooking Techniques such as: meats, poultry, seafood, stocks, sauces and soups, Garde Manger: eggs, breakfast, sandwiches, fruits, vegetables, pasta and grains, Menu Planning and Nutrition.
How to Enroll
Orleans/Niagara BOCES partners with local school districts to provide exciting hands-on career and technical training during normal school day. To learn more, speak with your high school counselor.
NYS Approved Program Title & CIP Code
Culinary Arts/Chef Training – 12.0503