Early Childhood Education
Location: Orleans Career and Technical Education Center
Location: Niagara Career and Technical Education Center
This program has several options open to all students in their junior and senior years. Students spend a portion of their time teaching preschool children and gain hands-on experiences working in the on-site preschool program. Students completing this program will gain experience working with children two to five years of age. The curriculum includes several professional development opportunities such as Disabilities Awareness training; Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse for Mandated Reporters; Adult, Infant and Child CPR and Standard First Aid through the American Red Cross; and SAVE (Schools Against Violence in Education) Certification.
- To help students maintain a safe, healthy and nurturing environment for children.
- To help the student develop communication skills with children and adults.
- To familiarize students of appropriate child guidance techniques and classroom management.
- To understand the stages of development birth to eight years.
- To understand principles of child development in order to create developmentally appropriate activities.
- To develop skills in seeking employment working with young children.
Units of Study
During the program students will: Read Aloud with Children, Child Guidance Techniques, Observation and Assessment, Health and Safety in a Child Care Setting, Areas of Development: Physical, Cognitive, Social and Emotional, Classroom Environment, Nutrition, Family Involvement, Day Care Regulations, Professionalism, Diversity in Education, Teaching Children with Special Needs, Developmental Theory, Developmentally Appropriate Practice in Art, Science, Math and Literacy.
How to Enroll
Orleans/Niagara BOCES partners with local school districts to provide exciting hands-on career and technical training during normal school day. To learn more, speak with your high school counselor.
NYS Approved Program Title & CIP Code
Child Care Provider/Assistant – 19.0709
Possible Career Paths
- With a 2 year CTE program: Childcare Assistant, increased demand 7%*
- Associate’s Degree: Preschool Teacher, increased demand 10%*
- Bachelor’s Degree: Elementary School Teacher, increased demand 7%*
*Projected national growth for 2016-2026, US Bureau of Labor Statistics