Letter From Dr. Godshall May 27, 2020
May 27, 2020
Dear Orleans/Niagara BOCES Students & Parents:
We congratulate all the staff who have facilitated the students by continuing their learning under these most extreme conditions. Staff are planning scheduled site visits for students to obtain their personal belongings as the school year ends. Sadly, our celebrations of the student’s program completions cannot be observed, yet we all are very proud of their accomplishments. Virtual recognition is being developed and ongoing work to help our clients with jobs, military service or higher education aspirations are continuing.
Governor Cuomo has ordered schools and the BOCES sites closed through this school year. Instruction is occurring through alternative models for our career and technical education (CTE) and special education students. All Orleans/Niagara BOCES campuses and locations, along with adult/community learning sites are not open to general populations, but we are planning partial staff returns in June. Please call ahead if you have questions or service requests.
This time is challenging for all communities, but we are dedicated to serving our students and keeping them as safe as possible while still allowing educational growth. Here are some important points to consider:
- All O/N BOCES campuses will have limited access through June 2020 and the summer. Staff will be rotating into the campuses to gain materials and close out the school year while planning for next year. Staff remain available via telecommunications to assist.
- Students should be receiving instruction for study for the duration of the closure. Students who attend a BOCES CTE program will continue to receive instruction for their programs, in addition to instruction from their home schools. Technology resources (including Google G Suite for Education) are available to CTE students.
- Students in special education and alternative programs will continue to receive the educational support needed to be successful. Service providers have been in contact to discuss the specific needs of students. Instructional work is being received and directed to the teachers.
- Faculty and staff will be available throughout the closure, through multiple channels, to support our students, support student work, answer questions, and ensure continuity of education.
- State and local officials will determine whether the duration of the closure must be adjusted, using public health information as our guide. Niagara and Orleans Counties are qualifying for more relaxed phasing to work and activities.
- Please continue to keep your households as safe as possible by washing your hands regularly, avoiding contact with those who are sick, cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, and staying home when you are sick.
- We appreciate your support during this challenging time. We continue to be proactive in keeping our students, staff and communities safe. Please continue to take care of yourself and others.
I am hopeful that the students and families of the O/N BOCES community will follow the guidelines set forth by our federal, state, and local officials, so that we can fight this pandemic together. We are hopeful to return to full activity in the Fall of 2020.
Dr. Clark Godshall